SSG Beach Games Conclude with Highland Games Events and 27 Total Hours of Beach Tennis
CLEARWATER BEACH, Fla. — The 2018 Sunshine State Games (SSG) International Beach Games came to a close on Sunday at the Sheraton Sand Key Resort with the final day consisting of Beach Tennis and Highland Games events.
Kevin Dupuis, of Palm Harbor, repeated as a Highland Games gold medalist in the second year the sport has been in the SSG Beach Games.
Beach Tennis wrapped up 27 hours of competition since Friday and the Highland Games saw men and women in kilts throwing 16 pound stones, weighted bags over a bar with pitchforks and trees weighing up to 100 pounds.
A fixture in all of those 27 hours of Beach Tennis was Mateo Godio, originally from Italy, now living in Delray Beach, who won his second gold medal of the weekend in the Mixed Open Doubles event, teaming with Lady Correra, also of Delray Beach.
Godio, who won a gold medal in Men’s Open Singles, Friday, and a silver in Men’s Open Doubles, Saturday, played 15 matches over the 27 hours of Beach Tennis, with temperatures in the 90s on Clearwater Beach Friday through Sunday.
“It was fun, but I’m glad it’s over,” he said, after climbing off the medal stand late Sunday afternoon.
Correra, who won a Women’s Doubles gold medal on Saturday, found herself playing against her women’s doubles partner, Andrea Pereia, in the mixed doubles final.
Click here to access full results from the 2018 SSG International Beach Games.
About the Florida Sports Foundation
Florida’s Sports Industry creates over $57.4 billion in economic impact for the Sunshine State, provides over 580,000 jobs for its citizens, and attracts over 16 million out of state visitors each year. All of which deservingly make Florida the “Sports Capital of the World”. The Florida Sports Foundation, Inc. is a 501(C)3 non-profit corporation, serving as the Sports Industry Development Division of Enterprise Florida, Inc. The mission of the Florida Sports Foundation is to:
- Assist Florida’s communities with securing, hosting and retaining Sporting events and sports related business that generate significant economic impact and Sports Tourism for the state of Florida through the Foundation’s grant programs, legislative initiatives and Industry Partner service, recognition and development.
- Provide the citizens of Florida with participation opportunities in the Sunshine State Games and Florida Senior Games events.
- Serve as Florida’s leading resource for Sport Tourism research and facts.
- Assist in the promotion of targeted leisure sports industries in Florida.
- Assist National and Florida State Governing Bodies to promote amateur sport development through the Sunshine State Games and hosting events in Florida.